Walk through downtown Thomasville, strolling the streets and tasting several state and national award-winning foods not often found in such small towns!
- 3 food stops with history of Thomasville between the stops
- Great for Georgia history classes
- A great field trip for youth groups, scouting groups or any group with mostly children
- General Admission All Ages
This Tour is Great for Elementary & Middle School-Aged Kids!
Guest will be greeted in the Visitor’s Center Courtyard. We stroll though the downtown area learning the Victorian history of Thomasville. We also start our quail hunt, finding quail hidden throughout town. We make a stop at Sweetgrass Dairy to learn how cheese is made and have a few samples. The group then walks to a local church to see the Tiffany stained glass windows. Our walk continues to Moonspin Pizza, while we learn a little more of the history of Thomasville. Pizza is lunch! Then, we head to The Big Oak, one of the oldest live oak trees east of the Mississippi. There, we get a group picture by the Big Oak Cam. Then we head back to town, learning a little more of the unique history of Thomasville, and hunting more quail. We end at the Bookshelf, where we get out dessert, our Georgia cookie!
Please contact Debra Smith to set up a tour. Tours are offered Wednesday-Friday. A starting time will be discussed when the tour is set up. The tour must include at least 1 adult.
Where to Meet
- Tours will meet in the courtyard of The Visitor’s Center, 144 E. Jackson St.
What to Expect
- Makes Georgia History an experience
- Pizza at the midway point
- Georgia Cookie at the end of the tour
- Class picture at the Big Oak
- Get to go on a quail hunt through Downtown
SweetGrass Dairy Cheese Shop
Students will learn how the farm raises their cows, make their cheeses, and will receive a couple of samples of the cheeses.
Not your ordinary pizza stop…pizza on a sour dough crust from a starter that is 200 years old. Everyone loves pizza for lunch!
Bookshelf with Marie’s Kakes
The tour ends with a cookie from a local baker that makes cookies in the shape of Georgia and a heart marking the location of Thomasville. Beautiful and delicious cookies!